Monday, 2 November 2009

High Raise


The best part of a week in the spiritual home that I share with several million others: the lakes. It rained a lot, but no matter, we had a fine family time in our rented house in Clappersgate.

One evening I had an hour to myself and headed up the footpath by the house for some gentle orienteering practice on the hummocky tops of Loughrigg.

Another morning I set off early to run out from the Dungeon Gill. I made my way up to angle tarn, failed to find a path that should have been very obvious according to the OS, and then, aiming off a little bit, followed a bearing to connect with the footpath at the top of High Raise. I cut my planned route short and headed back over Thunacar Knott on another bearing and got satisfyingly disorientated trying to find the summit. I remember the wind moaning with depth as it came up and over the top of Pavey Ark and later a party of schoolchildren emptying water out of their wellies whilst tired-looking teachers/instructors looked on.

Photos and route

No comments:

Post a Comment