Monday, 14 June 2010

Haytor


A while ago I contacted 'Four Winds', through his blog and he kindly outlined a route for me to try next time I was in Devon.

From the busying car park, I trotted up to Haytor rocks and paused for a while watching a pair of climbers. Heading down to the old quarries I stopped to say hello to impassive ponies. Took an an old tramway for a bit before going off piste to an impressive cairn, distinctive cattle and the unpeopled promontary of Black Hill, where I lingered over the views for a good while.

Dropped down through unfurling bracken stalks to the Becka Brook and then picked up a trod that petered out and came back again further up the slope.

Stopping, starting, pausing. No hurry - taking things in.

Off piste again, I wobbled over a bit of bog then through gorse before taking a look at the quarries of Holwell Tor. Was quite taken with couple of lichen coated cracklines that looked to have good potential for esoteric top roping.

Running out of time, I sped up on the way back over to Haytor and streched me legs on the grassy descent back to the start.

No barefoot running this time...

4 comments:

  1. Nice photos. Sounds like a nice run out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt!

    Glad you had a good one - nice photos. Not sure even I'd be daft enouth to barefoor gorze-central.........yet. There's some good running over Hameldown area on my last blog if you fancy something different next time.
    All the best,

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that a shot of sheep poo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erm yeah - don't ask me why, I've got no idea :)

    ReplyDelete